Announcing the winners of SIT’s 2016 photo contest!

We are happy to announce the winners of the 2016 SIT Photo Contest!

This annual contest is a chance for SIT Study Abroad and SIT Graduate Institute students and alumni to submit photos that capture SIT’s mission and values. The public chose the winner of the Crowd Favorite category. SIT staff had the difficult task of choosing their favorites in the Cultural Immersion, Independent Research, Program Location, and Program Theme categories. Both groups have made their decisions, and we’re proud to showcase them below, along with the stories behind the photos as told by their photographers.

Crowd Favorite

Winner—Anna Wadhwani (The George Washington University), India: Public Health, Policy Advocacy, and Community

Two girls in a village in Risia, Uttar Pradesh, India

Cultural Immersion

Winner—Wesley Lickus (Dickinson College), Morocco: Field Studies in Journalism and New Media

Mackenzie Ritter, a student on the Morocco Journalism and New Media program, teaches local children how to put together a puzzle.

Runner up—Luca Pearl Khosrova (State University of New York at Purchase), Indonesia: Arts, Religion, and Social Change

Daniel [Luca’s classmate] participates in an Ogoh Ogoh Festival.

Independent Research

Winner—Gabriel Mantegna (Johns Hopkins University), Australia: Rainforest, Reef, and Cultural Ecology

Learning about the crown-of-thorns starfish on the Great Barrier Reef

Runner up—Abigail Thomas (Stonehill College), Panama: Tropical Ecology, Marine Ecosystems, and Biodiversity Conservation

Mist netting in the tropical humid forestwe caught a motmot!

Program Location

Winner—Gabriel Oppler (Haverford College), Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation

Volcano Cotopaxi smoking over Quito, Ecuador

Runner up—Zane Tumia (University of Colorado at Boulder), Tunisia: Emerging Identities in North Africa

The sun rises over Shatt al-Jerid, a dried salt lake in southern Tunisia.

Program Theme

Winner—Laura Greenwood (SIT Graduate Institute), MA in Intercultural Service, Leadership, and Management (Self-Designed)

This is a portrait of Fevean Keflom. The photograph was part of the “Hair, Femininity, and Sexuality” exhibit held on the SIT campus in December 2015. This is Fevean’s caption that goes along with the photograph, “Growing up, hair was everything and it still is . . . especially to my mother! I come from a strong Eritrean culture, so who am I to go against that? That would make me lost, right? My tribe glorifies specific braiding styles that require hair. . . . Long hair! I cut my hair two days before I came to SIT. I used to be my hair. . . . It was me. My mom wasn’t my biggest critic, the media let me know that my frizzy wavy curls were unprofessional and my braids were ghetto. This is more than a haircut, more than me tapping into my inner Halle Berry. I’m starting over. . . . And I don’t care what anyone thinks. Respect the fro or else!”

Runner up—Emily Arasim-Darby (University of Denver), Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation

Heirloom local corn seeds in the hands of a farmer of San Pedro de Vilcamamba, Ecuador. Photo taken as part of an Independent Study Project mapping local seed diversity and loss in south-east Ecuador.

Congratulations to our winners!

Be Sociable, Share!

,

UA-2669940-5